The GED® test will be about 7 hours long with the timing for each subject area as follows:
The Reasoning Through Language Arts test is 150 minutes long and testing is broken down into three sections:
• Section 1 (35 minutes*) tests all content
• Section 2 (45 minutes) is the Extended Response portion of the test
• Student break (10 minutes)
• Section 3 (60 minutes*) tests all content
*The time allotted for sections 1 and 3 may vary slightly, but the total test time will always be 150 minutes.
The Mathematical Reasoning test is 90 minutes long and is one single section.
• Part 1 – Calculators not allowed (five questions)
• Part 2 – Calculators allowed
Students must submit their answers to the first five questions before moving on to the rest of the test. These parts are not timed separately.
The Social Studies test is 90 minutes long and testing is broken down into two sections:
• Section 1 (65 minutes) tests all content
• Section 2 (25 minutes) is the Extended Response portion of the test
The Science test is 90 minutes long and is one single section.
• There are two Short Answer questions included on the test, but they are not timed separately.
• Students are expected to manage their time and spend about 10 minutes on each of the Short Answer questions.
GED 2014 SCORING INFORMATION
• Each subject test has a total of 200 points.
• 150 points is a passing score for each test.
• Scores of 170 or above are considered college and career readiness.