Research Paper: You are to identify, focus, research, and write a report on a specific social problem. You must use at least six references, three of which must be from scholarly journals (e.g., The American Sociological Review). The report should be a well-articulated and carefully thought-out analysis showing that you understand the problem, its specific causes and effects, and its implications and ramifications. You must also indicate why you think change is necessary or due.
Structure and instructions for the paper:
1. You must accurately portray the nature of the issue.
2. You must explain what makes your topic an issue of social relevance.
3. You must explain the probable cause(s) of the problem.
4. You must make use of all appropriate theories that we cover in class.
5. You must discuss possible solutions to the social problem.
6. You must utilize at least six references, three of which must be from scholarly journals, to support your thesis.
7. You must use an essay format.
8. You must submit a typed paper.
9. You must keep the paper within four to eight typewritten pages, double-spaced, 12 point font.
10. You must include a coversheet with a title, your name, class, and date. Submit it stapled in the upper left hand corner. No binders or folders.
11. You must cite your sources in the body of your paper. (Failure to do so will lead to a zero for the paper.)
12. You must include a works cited (reference) page. (Failure to do so will lead to a zero for the paper.)
13. You must submit the paper by November 22, 2004. Late papers will automatically be graded down 5 points.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: Keep a COPY (or computer backup file) of your paper.
DUE DATE: November 22, 2004, at the start of class.
Papers will automatically be marked down 5 points if not turned in by the start of class on the date it is due (10 minute grace period), and 2 points will be deducted for every subsequent day thereafter excluding weekends.
REVISION OF THE ASSIGNMENT: After our last WAC Workshop meeting on Friday, 10/01/04, I decided to incorporate the excellent suggestion of breaking down my research paper into smaller assignments. In this way, I will be able to evaluate my students’ progress.
OUTLINE FOR SOC 102 RESEARCH PAPER
- Statement of the social problem. (Accurately portray the nature of the issue.)
- Thesis statement/sentence. (Due 9/20/04)
Body: Paragraphs 1 and 2
- History of the social problem. (Work in sources.) (Due 10/11/04)
- You may also discuss past attempts at solutions.
Body: Paragraphs 3 and 4
- State the extent of the problem. (Work in sources.) (Due 10/10/25/04)
- Be sure to apply the four elements of a social problem (i.e., individual and social damage, offense to a powerful group’s standards, persistence, and overabundance of proposed solutions. This is where you explain what makes your topic an issue of social relevance.).
Body: Paragraphs 5 and 6
- State the possible causes of the social problem. (Work in sources.) (Due 11/08/04)
- Be sure to make use of all appropriate theories that we have covered in class (i.e., conflict, functionalist, interactionist, etc.)
Body: Paragraph 7 and 8
- Future solutions. (Due 11/08/04)
- You can discuss some of your own solutions utilizing the various sociological paradigms; however, be sure to utilize what others have written—i.e., work in sources.
- Summarize your findings.
NOTE: THE FINAL PRODUCT IS DUE ON 11/22/04.
Last updated: 1/19/2010 12:49:27 PM