1. Download the VOCCAB. Bring it to your ELIGIBILITY OR WELFARE WORKER for completion.
2. Apply to GCC.
3. Go to MyGCC and choose MyCALWORKS. Complete the CalWORKs application for the current term.
4. Sign up for an Assessment Test
If you plan to take ESL at the Garfield Campus, go to the ESL Office on the 2nd Floor of the Garfield Tropico Building.
If you are a Garfield Campus Office Clerk or Accounting student, you do not need an assessment test.
5. Ask your GAIN or REP Worker for the following*:
GN 6006 for Remedial or Vocational Education
GN 6014, Assessment Results
WTW2, Welfare-to-Work Plan
* If you are SIPP, you will not need all of these at the time you enroll. SIPPs need only a GN 6005A.
6. Read the CalWORKs Secrets to Success Handbook. Take and print the quiz at the end of the Handbook
7. When you have completed steps 1-6, bring all of your documents to our office.
If you are attending the GCC Main Campus, go to SF 114.
8. Also bring your Driver's Licence, California ID, or Passport and your Social Security Number.
9. Bring all of your documents to the GCC CalWORKs front desk and make an appointment with your case manager. The name and contact information can be found here.
We understand that enrolling in college can be intimidating and frustrating. If you need help or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (818) 240-1000, extension 5681 for the Garfield Campus, or extension 5508 for the Main Campus. (Not sure which campus? Call either extension and someone will help you.)