GCC Theatre Arts Dept.’s Fall 2015 Season
The Government Inspector
We Are Stardust
Main Stage Production
The Government Inspector
Adapted by Jeffrey Hatcher
From the original by Nikolai Gogol
Directed by Matt Foyer
Performances: Oct 29 - Nov 8, 2015
||Wed 9/2 & Thu 9/3 at 7:00-10:00pm in the Auditorium
(You don't have to attend both; just pick the one that works best for you)
||Fri 9/4 at 7-10 pm in the Auditorium (if needed)
||Nothing! Auditioners will read sides (parts of scenes) from the play
|READ THE PLAYS
||Perusal scripts are in the Green Room (AU 201-B)
|ENROLL IN THESE TWO COURSES
2.0 - 4.0 units
REHEARSALS: Start September 8, M-F @ 7-10 pm [Some exceptions and special dates apply. Attend auditions and first company meeting for more detailed calendar.]
PERFORMANCES: October 29 - November 8
Thu-Sat @ 6:30-11:00 pm
Sun @ 12:30-5:00 pm
(Attend auditions for more specific schedule information)
TA 129 – Backstage Lab for Performers
Fri @ 2:40-6:00 pm
**All dates and times are general guidelines but specifics will be discussed at auditions and first company meeting. Contact the department with specific questions about scheduling**
|NOT READY TO BE ON STAGE?
||You can still be involved! Every play needs stage managers and technical operators. See Guido Girardi (x5635 - firstname.lastname@example.org) or Dina Dominguez (x3044 - email@example.com) in AU 201-A.
|| Ask department chair Jeanette Farr at x5636 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or department assistant Ashley Adams-Regan in AU 106-D / x5618 / email@example.com.
DEVISED PRODUCTION (No audition required!)
"We Are Stardust"
Directed by Melissa R. Randel
Written & Developed during Fall 2015 semester
Rehearsal & Performance will take place in Spring 2016
ACTORS!!! NO AUDITION REQUIRED!!!
SIGN UP FOR TA 164 -- FALL 2015
...construction and rehearsals begin for...
AN ORIGINAL DEVISED THEATRE PIECE: WE ARE STARDUST
DIRECTED BY MELISSA R. RANDEL
Do you know who said, “WE ARE STARDUST” Do you believe it’s true? It is.
“We are stardust - in the highest, most exalted way, one can use that phrase...the molecules in your body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos.”
--Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson
THIS IS THE THRILLING SUBJECT MATTER OF DEVISED PLAY: WE ARE STARDUST
DEFINITION OF DEVISED THEATRE: a cutting edge approach to making new work
• devised theatre is an original theatre piece constructed by multiple partners, often with diverse skill
sets during an extended period of collaboration
• devised theatre includes actors in the process of writing the play
• essential tools for creating a devised theatre: suzuki, viewpoints, and composition
• devised theatre often contains original text written by the participants, along with movement, dance,
music, video, and classical plays like Shakespeare, Sophocles, etc.
• devised plays are often non-linear and resemble a living, theatrical collage
Who can participate? ANYONE who’s excited by the subject matter and plays well with others!
Actors, dancers, playwrights, choreographers, musicians, set/costume/lighting/sound designers,
composers, graphic artists, astronomers, physicists, producers, social media experts
What do I need to do to participate in We are Stardust during Fall 2015?
Sign up for TA 164 -- class meets from 5:10pm - 7:15pm Mondays & Wednesdays
TA 164 CLASS: DISCUSSION, BRAINSTORMING, WRITING
• examine scientific research on stars: composition, behavior, relationship to solar system, life cycles
• examine scientific research on human beings: composition, behavior, relationships, and life cycles
• draw parallels between the stars and human beings/human behavior
• speculate, imagine, guess, and decide how to represent these parallels dramatically onstage
• select fictional and scientific text, referencing the stars
• develop these improvisations into original scenes and monologues
TA 164 CLASS: EXPLORATIONS & SKILL BUILDING TRAINING
• listen to all kinds of music, throughout history, referencing the stars
• explore movement inspired by the movement of stars
• improvise scenes dramatizing parallels between stars and human behavior
• training in Viewpoints - a movement technique that helps create an ensemble
• training in Suzuki - vocal/movement training to develop strong vocal/physical presence
• Creating and Performing Compositions - composition is how ingredients of a devised work are
assembled and form the play; direct application of viewpoints and suzuki skills, to the subject matter
COME PLAY!!! DEVISING THEATRE IS AN INCREDIBLY THRILLING EXPERIENCE!!!!
By the end of the fall semester, a final script will be ready for rehearsal and performance, of
WE ARE STARDUST during spring of 2016.
Click here to download this flyer