GCC Theatre Arts Dept.’s Spring 2015 Season
We Are Stardust
Main Stage Production
Music by Mark Hollman
Book by Greg Kotis
Lyrics by Hollman & Kotis
Directed by Jeanette Farr-Harkins
Performances: March 31 - April 10, 2016
||Wed 11/11 & Thu 11/12 at 7:00-10:00pm in the Auditorium
(You don't have to attend both; just pick the one that works best for you)
||Fri 11/13 at 7-10 pm in the Auditorium (if needed)
||16 bars of a song. There will be a cold reading and please wear comfortable clothes to move in.
|READ THE PLAYS
||There will be a reading on Tues. November 10 at 7:00pm. ALL ARE WELCOME!! A perusal copy of the script is available in the Mainstage Lobby.
|ENROLL IN THESE TWO COURSES
**All dates and times are general guidelines but specifics will be discussed at auditions and first company meeting. Contact the department with specific questions about scheduling**
|NOT READY TO BE ON STAGE?
||You can still be involved! Every play needs stage managers and technical operators. See Guido Girardi (x5635 - email@example.com) or Dina Dominguez (x3044 - firstname.lastname@example.org) in AU 201-A.
|| Ask department chair Jeanette Farr at x5636 or email@example.com, or department assistant Ilana Hirshhorn in AU 106-D / x5618 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
DEVISED PRODUCTION (No audition required for Fall 2015!)
"We Are Stardust"
Directed by Melissa R. Randel
Written & Developed during Fall 2015 semester (no audition required)
Rehearsal & Performance will take place in Spring 2016 (Auditions: February 17 & 18, 2016)
ACTORS!!! NO AUDITION REQUIRED for Fall 2015!!!
SIGN UP FOR TA 164 -- FALL 2015
...construction and rehearsals begin for...
AN ORIGINAL DEVISED THEATRE PIECE: WE ARE STARDUST
DIRECTED BY MELISSA R. RANDEL
Do you know who said, “WE ARE STARDUST” Do you believe it’s true? It is.
“We are stardust - in the highest, most exalted way, one can use that phrase...the molecules in your body are traceable to phenomena in the cosmos.”
--Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson
THIS IS THE THRILLING SUBJECT MATTER OF DEVISED PLAY: WE ARE STARDUST
DEFINITION OF DEVISED THEATRE: a cutting edge approach to making new work
• devised theatre is an original theatre piece constructed by multiple partners, often with diverse skill
sets during an extended period of collaboration
• devised theatre includes actors in the process of writing the play
• essential tools for creating a devised theatre: suzuki, viewpoints, and composition
• devised theatre often contains original text written by the participants, along with movement, dance,
music, video, and classical plays like Shakespeare, Sophocles, etc.
• devised plays are often non-linear and resemble a living, theatrical collage
Who can participate? ANYONE who’s excited by the subject matter and plays well with others!
Actors, dancers, playwrights, choreographers, musicians, set/costume/lighting/sound designers,
composers, graphic artists, astronomers, physicists, producers, social media experts
What do I need to do to participate in We are Stardust during Fall 2015?
Sign up for TA 164 -- class meets from 5:10pm - 7:15pm Mondays & Wednesdays
TA 164 CLASS: DISCUSSION, BRAINSTORMING, WRITING
• examine scientific research on stars: composition, behavior, relationship to solar system, life cycles
• examine scientific research on human beings: composition, behavior, relationships, and life cycles
• draw parallels between the stars and human beings/human behavior
• speculate, imagine, guess, and decide how to represent these parallels dramatically onstage
• select fictional and scientific text, referencing the stars
• develop these improvisations into original scenes and monologues
TA 164 CLASS: EXPLORATIONS & SKILL BUILDING TRAINING
• listen to all kinds of music, throughout history, referencing the stars
• explore movement inspired by the movement of stars
• improvise scenes dramatizing parallels between stars and human behavior
• training in Viewpoints - a movement technique that helps create an ensemble
• training in Suzuki - vocal/movement training to develop strong vocal/physical presence
• Creating and Performing Compositions - composition is how ingredients of a devised work are
assembled and form the play; direct application of viewpoints and suzuki skills, to the subject matter
COME PLAY!!! DEVISING THEATRE IS AN INCREDIBLY THRILLING EXPERIENCE!!!!
By the end of the fall semester, a final script will be ready for rehearsal and performance, of
WE ARE STARDUST during spring of 2016.
Click here to download this flyer