If possible, and safe to do so, EVACUATE the area:
• Help others escape if possible.
• Prevent other individuals from entering the area.
• Keep your hands visible when police officers arrive on scene.
• Call 9-1-1 when in a safe location.
If evacuation is not possible, SHELTER-IN-PLACE:
• Locate a room that you can lock and/or barricade with heavy furniture.
• Turn off lights, cover door windows, close window blinds if possible or safe to do so. Move away from doors and windows.
• Stay low to the ground and hide behind heavy furniture. Do not restrict your options for movement.
• You may also separate into groups if there are multiple people with you.
• Remain quiet. Silence cell phones.
If evacuation and sheltering-in-place are not possible, and ONLY if your life is in imminent danger, you may choose to TAKE ACTION against the violent offender:
• If you choose to take action, you may have to commit to your actions until the threat is reduced. Always consider the risk of taking action against the immediate need to protect your life from imminent danger.
• Throw items such as books, backpacks, staplers, chairs, fire extinguishers, etc. Yell, scream and/or shout to distract/scare the offender and solicit help.
When encountering Law Enforcement:
• Please follow their instructions. Do not attempt to hold or grab the officers. Put down any items in your hands.