If an earthquake occurs while inside a room or building, DROP, COVER, and HOLD-ON.
• DROP to the ground.
• Take COVER under a sturdy desk/table. If no desks/tables are nearby, crawl away from windows and exterior walls. COVER your head, neck and face. Crouch into a ball to make yourself as small as possible. Do not go in a doorway. Do not run outside.
• HOLD-ON to your desk/table until the shaking stops. Be prepared to move with your cover.
• After shaking completely stops, turn off computers/electrical equipment if possible. If possible, proceed to designated evacuation area. Use stairs, do not use elevators. Evacuate via nearest safe exit.
• Stay away from buildings, glass, walls, power lines, gas pipes, and trees.
• Be prepared for aftershocks.
• Call 9-1-1 or the College Police at extension 4000 from a campus phone or direct dial 818 409-5911 to report serious injuries and hazards.
• Do not return to the building until advised by emergency personnel.
• If trapped inside a building, knock on solid material to attract attention of the rescue parties. Avoid shouting to prevent inhalation of dust or dangerous particles.
• Remain calm.
If an earthquake occurs while outside a room or building, move to an open area away from buildings, power lines, and/or trees. If driving on or near campus, pull to the side of the roadway, apply your emergency brake, and avoid overpasses or bridges.