First aid and medical emergencies do occur on our campus. The person who is affected by the medical emergency should be evaluated and treated by a health care professional as soon as possible.
Take the following steps in the event of a medical emergency:
• Call 9-1-1 from a cell phone or 9+9-1-1 from a campus phone to summon an ambulance.
• When calling 9-1-1 stay on the phone line until the dispatcher hangs up. They can provide appropriate guidance and pre-arrival instructions until an ambulance arrives.
• After calling 9-1-1 contact the College Police at extension 4000 from a campus phone or direct dial 818-409-5911 so they can arrange for the most efficient entry of emergency vehicles on campus.
• You may also notify the Health Center at extension 5909 from campus phones. Advise them of the location of the victim, nature of the injury and tell them who you are.
• Prior to taking any action, CHECK the accident scene for potential hazards in order to protect your personal safety.
• To reduce the risk of infection, if possible, WEAR NON-LATEX GLOVES and WASH YOUR HANDS before and after treating an open wound or handling any body fluids. Stay with the victim and reassure them that medical help is on the way.
• Do not move a seriously injured person unless there is a life threatening situation.