As an institution of higher learning, Glendale Community College participates in the free and open exchange of ideas. Glendale Community College supports the various platforms of social networking – Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc. – as valuable tools for engaging students, staff, faculty, alumni, friends and supporters in a constructive two-way dialogue about the District and its mission.
The long-term success of any social media community depends on a shared philosophy of how to behave. Members of the Glendale College community should become familiar with Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, the Twitter Help Center’s policies, YouTube’s Policy and Safety Hub policies and similar support sites for social media.
The guidelines for engaging in GCC social media platforms are as follows:
- Be respectful of the rights and opinions of others.
- Stay on topic. GCC social media sites are established as forums for the open discussion of matters related to Glendale Community College.
- Hateful speech, personal attacks, "flaming," profanity, vulgarity, pornography, nudity and abusive language are prohibited.
- Keep personal information (e.g. your phone number and address) out of your posts.
- Think before you write/post: Almost everything you write or post to a social media site – words, pictures, video – is public. If you post anything on any GCC site, you consent that it can be published and waive any expectation of privacy regarding the post. What you choose to add to the conversation today will live on long after the conversation has ended.
GCC encourages the college community to post comments and “like" articles, photos and videos.
The college is not responsible for unanswered posts or inaccurate information posted by others.
On GCC’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other social media platforms, a respectful online environment for the broader community is encouraged. GCC page administrators review posts and comments regularly to ensure any issues or concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
The college reserves the right to remove from GCC social media sites any of the following:
- Comments, links, images or videos that are illegal or encourage illegal activity, or are obscene, defamatory/libelous/slanderous, sexually harassing or explicit in nature, or pose risks to the health or safety of individuals;
- Comments that personally attack or threaten any person;
- For students, anything that would violate District policies regarding student conduct
Student Conduct Policy
- Off-topic posts by one or more individuals or groups;
- Repetitive posts copied and pasted or duplicated by one or more individuals or groups;
- Solicitations or advertisements; and
- Any materials that infringe upon the intellectual property or other rights of any third party.
The Glendale College logo is only to be used as a profile photo on official GCC social media sites.
College departmental sites do not represent GCC as a whole, but do reflect on the college. Departmental sites must be professional and must adhere to state and federal laws and regulations related to the security and privacy of information (e.g. FERPA and HIPAA), as well as to college privacy policies. Confidential information must not be posted.
The use of the GCC logo or brand elements to promote products, causes, or political candidates on personal sites is prohibited. To use the logo or brand elements on a personal social media site, please submit a request to the Office of Communications and Community Relations.
If you have a concern about any posted content, or about any content that has been removed by a site administrator, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.