MONDAY – APRIL 22, 2019
* SECOND 6-WEEK AND 8-WEEK CLASSES BEGIN.
* MEN’S GOLF at Oakmont Country Club in Glendale. 11 a.m.
* EARTH DAY observed with student project presentations on Plaza Vaquero, local environmental organizations, GCC engineering and ECT displays and Tesla and VW cars at Sierra Vista Plaza. Tacos will be available starting at 12 p.m. Environmental activist Alexandra Paul will give a TED-style talk about the environment in the Student Center at 12:45 p.m.
* EARTH WEEK EVENT hosted by Glendale Students for Sustainability. “Gardening Bokashi Composting.” Plaza Vaquero. 12:30 p.m.
* MEDIA ARTS SHORT FILM SERIES: “Armenian Filmmakers.” Presented by the Media Arts Dept. and GCC Film Club. Instructor Carley Steiner will screen short films and lead a discussion. SG 334 (TV Studio.) 12:30 to 2 p.m.
* LEARNING CENTER WORKSHOPS: “Commas, Semicolons and Colons.” 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. “Thesis Sentences.” 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. AD 232.
* NURSING WORKSHOP: Covers prerequisites and admission criteria for GCC nursing programs as well as costs, clinical sites and schedules. HS 122. 12:30 to 2 p.m.
* LIBRARY WORKSHOPS: “Research Process.” 12:30 p.m. “Library Catalogs.” 3:30 p.m. LB 313.
* CAREER CENTER WORKSHOP: “Effective Resume.” Focuses on essential resume-writing principles, formats and content. 3:30 p.m. Register online at MyGCC. Call ext. 5407 for information.
TUESDAY- APRIL 23, 2019
* FINANCIAL FITNESS EVENT: “Getting Your Money in Shape.” Includes refreshments, giveaways, speakers and financial coaching. Student Center. 12 to 1:30 p.m.
* SCIENCE LECTURE SERIES: "Outbreaks, Opioids and Obesity: The Vast Frontiers of Public Health.” Speaker is Robyn Yano, clinical research coordinator at Children’s Hospital, Los Angeles. CS 177. 12:30 p.m.
* EARTH WEEK EVENT hosted by Glendale Students for Sustainability. “Recycling/Zero Waste” and steel straw giveaways. Plaza Vaquero. 12:30 p.m.
* LIBRARY WORKSHOPS: “Library Databases.” 12:30 p.m. “Credible Sources.” 3:30 p.m. LB 313.
* LEARNING CENTER WORKSHOPS: “Run-On Sentences.” 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. “MLA and APA Documentation.” 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. AD 232.
* BASEBALL vs. Victor Valley at Stengel Field. 2:30 p.m.
* SOFTBALL vs. Citrus at Glendale Sports Complex, 2200 Fern Lane. 2:30 p.m.
* CAREER CENTER WORKSHOP: “Cover Letter Essentials.” 3:30 p.m. Register online at MyGCC. Call ext. 5407 for information.
WEDNESDAY- APRIL 24, 2019
* WOMEN’S BEACH VOLLEYBALL WSC Pairs Tournament at Ventura. 10 a.m.
* MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TENNIS state finals.
* LEARNING CENTER WORKSHOPS: “Keys to College Success #5.” 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. “Developing a Research Question.” 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. AD 232.
* CAREER CENTER WORKSHOP: “Successful Interview Strategies.” 12 p.m. Register online at MyGCC. Call ext. 5407 for information.
* TITLE IX: LET THEM PLAY: Screening of “Sporting Chance,” a NCAA documentary on the impact of Title IX on women’s sports. A panel discussion with Natalie White, L.A. Sparks Senior VP and GCC’s Michelle Stonis, Paul Schlossman, Laura Matsumoto and Chris Cicuto. CS 177. 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
* LIBRARY WORKSHOPS: “Evaluating Information.” 12:30 p.m. “Using Info. Ethically.” 2 p.m. LB 313.
THURSDAY – APRIL 25, 2019
* MEN’S AND WOMEN’S TENNIS at Ojai Tournament.
* FREE LEGAL CLINICS offered by the Dream Resource Center. Hourly appointments begin at 10 a.m. and end at 4 p.m. Make an appointment at www.glendale.edu/legalclinic.
* LIBRARY WORKSHOPS: “Research Process.” 11:15 a.m. “Citing in MLA.” 5:30 p.m. LB 313.
* URBAN CULTURAL FESTIVAL hosted by System Impacted Intellectuals. Includes poetry by InsideOUT Writers, live painting by Salvadoran American artist Donx, a Club Prizm booth, a showcase of Low Riders and free tacos. Sierra Vista Plaza. 12 to 2 p.m.
* HUMANITIES/SOCIAL SCIENCE LECTURE SERIES: “Living and Thriving with Mental Health Challenges.” Speakers are from the National Alliance on Mental Illness. Kreider Hall. 12:20 to 1:30 p.m.
* LEARNING CENTER WORKSHOPS: “Keys to College Success #4.” 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. “Proofreading.” 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. AD 232.
* BASEBALL at Victor Valley. 2:30 p.m.
FRIDAY - APRIL 26, 2019
* DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR ADMISSION for fall 2019 and be eligible for priority registration.
* LEARNING CENTER WORKSHOP: “Avoiding Vague Language.” 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. AD 232.
* MEN'S AND WOMEN'S TRACK AND FIELD WSC Finals at Moorpark. 12 p.m.
* LIBRARY WORKSHOP: “Evaluating Information.” LB 313. 12:30 p.m.
* MAKERLAB DESIGN SERIES: “Laser Cut Felt Easter Eggs.” SR 321. 12:30 p.m.
* BASEBALL vs. Victor Valley at Stengel Field. 2:30 p.m.
SATURDAY - APRIL 27, 2019
* FOURTH ANNUAL MAKER FAIRE sponsored by the GCC Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and the GCC Maker Lab. Artists, craftspeople, scientists, hobbyists, techies, musicians and makers will participate in interactive workshops and lectures. Sierra Vista Building. 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free admission.
APRIL LOT CLOSURE: The Civic Auditorium parking garage will be closed April 25.
EARTH WEEK CLOTHING SWAP: Every day during Earth Week, bring used clothing to Plaza Vaquero to swap.
THE SUMMER 2019 CLASS SCHEDULE is available online. Go to www.glendale.edu/schedules and select term "summer 2019."
THE FALL 2019 CLASS SCHEDULE now online at www.glendale.edu/schedules and the printed version is online in pdf and flipbook versions at https://www.glendale.edu/class-schedule/printed-class-schedule
ART GALLERY EXHIBITION: “Puerto Rico: Interior/Exterior” group exhibition features works by contemporary Puerto Rican artists. The exhibition runs through May 15 in the GCC Art Gallery, library foyer. Gallery hours are Hours are Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. www.glendale.edu/artgallery.