As you all know, our physical Student Equity office is no longer open and, therefore, we are not seeing students in-person.
We are, instead, assisting students virtually and conducting phone appointments.
Please take a few minutes to read through this information so that you know how to prepare for your phone appointment and know what to expect:
You (the student) are responsible for calling the counselor with whom you have the appointment at the scheduled appointment day and time; same as you would show up and check-in to our office when it was your scheduled appointment day/time. However, instead of coming into the office and checking in, you will be calling your counselor.
Before calling your counselor, please prepare the following:
Update your MyGCC contact information, if needed. You can do this by logging into MyGCC, and from your Student Center page you will see the "Personal Information" section at the bottom of the page. Here, you can update your personal information. It is very important that your contact phone number is updated here!
Find a quiet, private place free of distractions and interruptions. If you are driving or doing any other activity during the call, we will ask you to reschedule the appointment.
Please try to have access to a computer, laptop, tablet, etc., during your appointment, with internet access, if possible.
You must have paper and pen or another mode with which to takes notes of what you and your counselor discuss.
If your counselor doesn't answer the call, please leave a voicemail with your name, ID #, and phone #. This might be because they are finishing up their previous student appointment and they will call you back shortly.
If you call more than 10 minutes after your appointment start time, you will have to reschedule.
You can always schedule a follow-up appointment. You might not finish everything you need to discuss in your 30 minute appointment, and that’s okay! You are more than welcome to schedule a follow-up appointment by calling the Student Equity office at 818-240-1000 x3520
We are all in this together and we are here to support you all!
Make sure to check your GCC student email daily for updates from us and from the campus.
Stay safe, everyone!
Our learning communities are designed to provide a supportive environment and offer services to help our students reach their potential and achieve their academic and personal goals.
Make connections, lifelong friends, gain important skills, participate in campus activities and events, all while being supported and guided through your college journey.
Through the program, you may be eligible for meal vouchers, TAP cards, parking permits, and book vouchers.
We also offer social mixers and events to help you get acquainted with your peers.
Several university trips are coordinated to help expose transfer-bound students to the many transfer opportunities available.
The Spring 2020 Learning Communities application will close on 02/28/2020!
We have three learning communities through the Student Equity Program at GCC:
- La Comunidad, which is designed for our Latinx Students
- Black Scholars, which is designed for our African American/ Black Students
- Guardian Scholars, which is designed for our Current and Former Foster Youth Students
Interested students can apply online or come in the office.
STUDENT EQUITY OFFICE HOURS
MONDAY 9 a.m - 5 p.m.
TUESDAY 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
WEDNESDAY 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
THURSDAY 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
FRIDAY 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
LOCATION & CONTACT
San Fernando Complex (SF 122)
(818) 240-1000, ext. 3520
- Yeranui Barsegyan, M.S. Interim Program Manager, Student Equity x3075 SF 122 email@example.com
- Jamie Sanchez, M.A. Counselor, Student Equity x3077 SF 122 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Johanna Quintanilla, M.S. Counselor, Student Equity x5611 SF 122 email@example.com
- Orlando Roybal, M.S. Counselor, Student Equity x3078 SF 122 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kevin Dimatulac, M.E.D. Counselor, Student Equity x5424 SF 122 email@example.com
- Alexandra Evans, M.A. Counselor, Student Equity x3083 SF 122 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Arpi Amirian, M.A. Student Services Technician, Student Equity x5127 SF 122 email@example.com