Distance Education Program Mission Statement
The Glendale Community College Distance Education Program Mission is to serve a diverse population of students by providing the opportunities and support to achieve their educational and career goals. The Distance Education Program is dedicated to the importance of higher education in the evolving urban environment of Glendale and the Greater Los Angeles area and beyond. Faculty and staff engage students in rigorous and innovative online learning experiences that enhance and sustain the cultural, intellectual, and economic vitality of the community. As part of its mission, Glendale Community College and the Distance Education Program are committed to student success by promoting:
- transfer preparation, certificates, associate degrees, career development, technical training, continuing education, and basic skills instruction;
- communication, critical thinking, information competency, quantitative reasoning, global awareness, personal responsibility, and application of knowledge;
- collaboration among disciplines and openness to the diversity of the human experience;
- student services, learning support, and technology that enable students to reach their educational goals in an efficient and timely manner;
- universally accessible, academically sound pedagogical strategies, and technologically advanced instruction at a distance, while responding to community needs and promoting faculty innovation;
- student retention by ensuring uniformity in terms of Learning Management System (LMS) and online instructor responsibility and accountability;
- clear expectations, guidelines and policies for instructors teaching distance education courses in order to adhere to the requirements of Title 5 Regulations, Federal ADA/Section 508 Laws, the American Federation of Teachers (AFT) Contract (Article 40), and the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) which oversees accreditation at Glendale Community College.
Distance Education Vision and Core Values Statement
The Glendale Community College Distance Education Program seeks to lead in educational excellence, innovation, training, delivery and support of online and hybrid instructional modalities. Glendale Community College looks to participate in the Online Education Initiative (OEI) in order to provide our students, and those throughout California, with high quality online courses.
The Distance Education Program at Glendale Community College is guided by the following Core Values:
- Leadership in technology, instructional innovation, and cultivation of lifelong learning and professional development;
- Dedication to best practices in distance education and support services for student success;
- Commitment to communication and collaboration among key stakeholders;
- Transparency in the decision-making process, while maintaining integrity and professionalism.
Welcome to the Distance Education (DE) department at Glendale Community College (GCC)! GCC offers access to higher education and learning opportunities via distance education. Distance education means instruction in which the instructor and student are separated by distance and interact through the assistance of communication technology. DE courses are ideal for independent, self-directed, and motivated students who have access to broadband internet on an ongoing basis.