The Approval of a New DE Course: California Community College Curriculum - Title 5
If any portion of the instruction in a proposed or existing course or course section is designed to be provided through distance education in lieu of face-to-face interaction between instructor and student, the course shall be separately reviewed and approved according to the district's adopted course approval procedures.
Any course that provides a learning experience via distance education must be separately approved by the Committee on Distance Education (CoDE) and reviewed by the Curriculum & Instruction (C&I) Committee as information.
DE Course Approval Process:
- Contact Division Chair to gain approval for a course to run as Distance Education (DE) in the future.
- Confirm Course Outline of Record (COR) is UPDATED (Must be within 6 years: COR List: https://www.glendale.edu/about-gcc/faculty-and-staff/c-i-curriculum-and-instruction/course-outlines-of-record).
- Fill out DISTANCE EDUCATION (DE) ADDENDUM: Distance Education Addendum Form (See “Sample”) (See "How To” Video) - https://www.glendale.edu/class-schedule/distance-education/de-faculty-center/new-de-course-proposal-process
NOTE: If a proposing instructor is not yet DE Certified, he or she should complete certification training or complete the equivalency process for certification at this point in the DE course approval process.
- Email DE Addendum with COR to DE Coordinator: email@example.com.
- DE Addendum Approval by CoDE (CoDE meets on the 4th Tuesday in spring/fall).
NOTE: It is expected that the intended DE instructor of the course is present at the CoDE meeting to answer any questions regarding the DE Addendum. If the instructor is not present, CoDE might have questions before approval and the DE Addendum will be sent back for clarification - thus postponing approval for a month or more. Alternatively, the intended DE instructor can appoint the Division CoDE Rep to speak on his/her behalf, but this CoDE Rep needs to have a clear understanding of the DE Addendum in order to answer questions.
- Division Chairs schedule courses with a DE Certified instructor.
Please let the DE Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org know if you have any questions in regards to filling out this DE Addendum.