The Approval of a New DE Course: California Community College Curriculum - Title 5
If any portion of the instruction in a new or existing course or course section is designed to be provided through distance education, an addendum to the official course outline of record shall be required. In addition to addressing how course outcomes will be achieved in a distance education mode, the addendum shall at a minimum specify how the portion of instruction delivered via distance education meets:
(a) Regular and effective contact between instructors and students and among students as referenced in title 5, section 55204(a), and
(b) Requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12100 et seq.) and section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, (29 U.S.C. § 749d)
The addendum shall be separately reviewed and approved according to the district's adopted curriculum approval procedures.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 66700 and 70901, Education Code. Reference: Sections 70901 and 70902, Education Code.
DE Course Approval Process:
- Contact Division Chair to gain approval for a course to run in the Distance Education modality
- Confirm Course Outline of Record (COR) is UPDATED (Must be within 6 years: COR List).
- Fill out DISTANCE EDUCATION (DE) ADDENDUM FORM.
- DE Addendum must be received by the DE Coordinator 1 week before the CoDE meeting (4th Tuesday in spring/fall) so it can be reviewed for accuracy and added to the Agenda.
- DE Addendum is reviewed and Approval by CoDE.
- Division Chair can then schedule the DE course with a DE Certified instructor.
Please let the DE Coordinator at email@example.com know if you have any questions in regards to filling out this DE Addendum.