The Approval of a New DE Course: California Community College Curriculum - Title 5
If any portion of the instruction in a new or existing course or course section is designed to be provided through distance education, an addendum to the official course outline of record shall be required. In addition to addressing how course outcomes will be achieved in a distance education mode, the addendum shall at a minimum specify how the portion of instruction delivered via distance education meets:
(a) Regular and effective contact between instructors and students and among students as referenced in title 5, section 55204(a), and
(b) Requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (42 U.S.C. § 12100 et seq.) and section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, (29 U.S.C. § 749d)
The addendum shall be separately reviewed and approved according to the district's adopted curriculum approval procedures.
Note: Authority cited: Sections 66700 and 70901, Education Code. Reference: Sections 70901 and 70902, Education Code.
DE Course Approval Process:
- Contact Division Chair to gain approval for a course to run as Distance Education (DE) in the future.
- Confirm Course Outline of Record (COR) is UPDATED (Must be within 6 years: COR List).
- Fill out DISTANCE EDUCATION (DE) ADDENDUM: Distance Education (DE) Addendum Form (Blank) (See “Sample DE Addendum") (See "How To” Video).
NOTE: If a proposing instructor is not yet DE Certified, he or she should complete certification training or complete the equivalency process for certification at this point in the DE course approval process.
- Email DE Addendum with COR to DE Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DE Addendum must be received by the DE Coordinator 1 week before the CoDE meeting so it can be added to the Agenda and reviewed for accuracy.
- DE Addendum Approval by CoDE (CoDE meets on the 4th Tuesday in spring/fall).
NOTE: It is expected that the intended DE instructor of the course is present at the CoDE meeting to answer any questions regarding the DE Addendum. If the instructor is not present, CoDE might have questions before approval and the DE Addendum will be sent back for clarification - thus postponing approval for a month or more. Alternatively, the intended DE instructor can appoint the Division CoDE Rep to speak on his/her behalf, but this CoDE Rep needs to have a clear understanding of the DE Addendum in order to answer questions.
- Division Chairs schedule courses with a DE Certified instructor.
Please let the DE Coordinator at email@example.com know if you have any questions in regards to filling out this DE Addendum.