Disbursement Information


Once your financial aid file is complete and reviewed, you will be sent an email through your GCC email address notifying you that your financial aid awards have been posted to your MyGCC page.  To see the programs and amounts of financial aid that you are eligible to receive for the Fall 2017 – Spring 2018 OR  Fall 2018 – Spring 2019 academic year:


Log into your MyGCC account

> Click on Student Services Ctr – "View Financial Aid”

> Click on Aid Year "2018" for 2017-2018 or "2019" for 2018-2019

Note:  Summer awards are calculated for all students actually enrolled for summer.

The awards listed are based on estimated full-time enrollment.  If you receive your financial aid awards later in the semester, the award amounts may be based on current units as of the date your awards are posted to the system.  The amount you actually receive will be based on the number of units in which you are enrolled as of the Add/Drop deadline.  The following programs may be listed:

Federal Pell Grant: The Pell Grant program is a federal grant program restricted to low income students/families. The amount you receive is based entirely on your FAFSA information, the U.S. Department of Education Pell Grant tables, and your enrollment status. If you are enrolled less than full-time (12 units per semester), your award is reduced or canceled.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant: SEOG grants are awarded in the amount of $200 per semester only if you also qualify for a maximum Pell Grant. Funds are very limited and not all eligible students can be awarded. Full-time students receive priority for funds. 

CCPG A or CCPG B or CCPG C (CA College Promise Grant, CCPG, formerly known as the BOG): The CCPG waives your enrollment fee, regardless of how many units you take. There are three types of CCPG. If your award is a CCPG A, you qualified because you provided documentation that you or your parents receive TANF/Cal Works, or SSI or that you receive General Relief benefits and you may also receive a 50% discount on college parking permits and the health fee. Students who are CCPG A or B eligible may also qualify for EOPS and should contact the EOPS Office. If you received a CCPG C, you qualified on the basis of your FAFSA information. If you paid enrollment fees prior to receiving a CCPG you will receive a refund of these fees from the Tuition Office.

EOPS (Educational Opportunity Program Grant): The EOPS Office provides grants and services to eligible students according to EOPS eligibility criteria. Contact the EOPS Office for more information (EOPS).

Cal Grant B, Cal Grant C: Cal Grants are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) if you filed a FAFSA and Cal Grant GPA Verification Form prior to the March 2nd or September 2nd deadlines and meet the eligibility criteria established by the state (www.csac.ca.gov).
California Full Time Student Success Grant:  Student Success Grants are given to students who have been awarded a Cal Grant "B" based on eligibility criteria established by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). To receive payment of the Student Success Grant for the semester, you must be enrolled in at least 12 or more units, receive a full-time Cal Grant payment and be meeting all Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.
Federal Work Study Program: The amount listed is the maximum you may earn in a campus part-time job under the Work-Study program. To use your Work Study award, contact the Job Placement Office in the San Rafael Building for information on available jobs and hiring procedures: (Job Placement).

Federal Direct Student Loan (Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loan):
The amount of your Federal student loan is visible on your 'MYGCC', 'View Financial Aid' page. Students borrowing federal student loans are required to attend an Entrance Loan workshop. Contact the Financial Aid Office to sign up for a workshop.
SCHOLARSHIP: The amount of scholarship money you received for this academic year is listed.

AMERCORP Grant: If you are or were in the Americorps program and earned educational benefits, the funds you are redeeming for this year are listed as part of your financial aid award.

CHAFFEY GRANT: Students who were in the California Foster Care system may be eligible for up to $5000 per year in additional grant assistance.
Additional information on all programs is available on the General Information Page
Check Disbursements
Pell grants, federal student loans, SEOG grants, and Cal Grants ARE posted as a credit to your Student Account. Any outstanding charges will be paid with your financial aid funds.  If your financial aid exceeds the amount of outstanding charges, a refund will be generated and a disbursement check issued by the College and mailed to you.  Contact the Tuition Office (ext. 5930) if you have questions regarding lost checks or replacement checks.  


To view your Student Account activity:

Log into your MyGCC account

 > Under Finances, Click on “   “other financial…” arrow

> Click on Account Activity and arrows to right


Pell Grant, SEOG, Federal Direct Loan and Cal Grant Check Disbursement Procedures

  • First Disbursement of the Semester:  (Students who are awarded prior to the second disbursement)
    If your financial aid awards are posted to your account prior to the  Financial Aid Census date, you will receive 50% of your Pell Grant award for the term.  Awards will be recalculated based on actual enrollment prior to disbursement.

    Second Disbursement of the Semester:
    Awards processed after the Financial Aid Census date.
  • Students who have already received a Pell Grant disbursement will receive the remaining balance.  Awards will be recalculated for actual enrollment at the Financial Aid Census date.
  • Students awarded Cal Grant, SEOG or Direct Loan funds must be enrolled in 6 or more units at the time of disbursement to receive funds.  For California Full Time Student Success Grants students must be in at least 12 or more units.  For the Community College Completion Grants students must be in at least 15 or more units.

  • If you receive your first award notification after the Financial Aid Census date you will receive all funds awarded to you in one disbursement for the semester, for the number of units you are enrolled in as of the date of initial packaging.  Funds will be received within two to three weeks after receiving the award notification.

  • The Financial aid check disbursement process is run on a weekly basis effective the week prior to the start of each semester through the week after second disbursement.  The disbursement process is run every other week after that point.


    If you are enrolled in a class(es) that starts after the first day of the semester  some or all of your financial aid funds may not be disbursed until after the class(es) start and the Financial Aid Office verifies that you remain enrolled.  Disbursement of any financial aid funds held for late starting classes usually occurs with the first disbursement after the class begins.        

Financial Aid Census Dates:

Summer 2018 Term:  July 18, 2018 (End of business day)

Fall 2018 Semester: September 19, 2018 (End of business day)
Winter/Spring 2019 Semesters: March 20, 2019 (End of business day)
Summer 2019 Term:  TBD

All financial aid awards are based on your enrollment status as of the Financial Aid Census date.  No adjustments can be made due to a change in enrolled units that occurs after that date.   Students who withdraw from all units are subject to repayment of federal and state financial aid funds.  The above FA census dates are subject to change without notice. 

Work-study earnings are based on the time sheets submitted by your supervisor and paychecks are issued monthly by the College Payroll Office.  Contact the Job Placement Office for further information.

CCPG refund checks are mailed to you by the Tuition Office if you paid your enrollment fees prior to receiving a CCPG and are due a refund.

Scholarship checks are disbursed from the Scholarship Office after they have been received from the funding agency and your eligibility has been verified by the Scholarship or Financial Aid Office. 



The amount you receive for a specific program may depend upon the number of units in which you are enrolled as of the date checks are processed for the semester.  The unit requirements per semester are:

Pell Grant*
& Cal Grant
12 or more units = Full-time status = maximum amount for which you qualify
9 to 11.5 units
= 3/4-time status
= 75% of a full-time award amount
6 to 8.5 units
= half-time status
= 50% of a full-time award amount
less than 6 units = less than half-time
= $0 - $519 per semester (PELL ONLY)

*Note: At GCC the Federal Pell Grant for Winter and Spring is awarded by combining both Winter and Spring units (The winter term is NOT a stand alone term for Financial Aid awarding). Students enrolled and awarded a Federal Pell Grant prior to the start of the Winter term may receive up to 1/2 of their Winter award (based only on Winter units).  The rest of the Winter monies will be combined and disbursed with the initial Spring disbursement. Students currently on a Financial Aid Contract may not receive a Winter disbursement until all grades for the prior semester have been posted and evaluated.  Therefore, Financial aid Contract students will receive their monies with the initial Spring disbursement.  In addition, students awarded after the start of the Winter term will receive up to 1/2 of their Winter award during the initial Spring disbursement (Winter and Spring units combined). Students who had an Return to Title IV calculation for Fall semester in a particular aid year AND who enroll for the subsequent Winter semester will receive their Winter Pell Grant disbursement with their first Spring disbursement if their file is complete and awarded.

Work-Study:  Must be full-time (12 units per semester).SEOG Grant, Cal Grant & Federal Direct

Student loans:  Must be at least half-time (6 or more units).

California Full Time Student Success Grants:  Must be full-time (12 units per semester)

Community College Completion Grants:  Must be full-time (15 units per semester)

EOPS Grant:  Must be full-time (12 units per semester).  EOPS grants are awarded by the EOPS Office.

BOG:  No unit limit.  Enrollment fees for any units listed in the Class Schedule are waived.

Scholarships:  Criteria are determined by the agency or organization providing the scholarship.




If you do not attend a class for which you received student aid or drop the class prior to the Add/Drop deadline, you must repay the money you received for that course.  If you drop the course after the Add/Drop deadline and receive a “W” in the course, you may be required to make up the units in a subsequent semester.  (See the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for further information).


If you received federal student aid and withdraw from all classes prior to completing 60% of the semester, you must repay some or all of the financial aid you received.  The amount you must repay is determined by the number of days you attended class or the date you officially withdrew from the college.  The 60% point of the semester is:


Fall 2017: October 31, 2017
Winter 2018 only: February 2, 2018
Winter/Spring 2018: April 4, 2018
Spring 2018 only: April 24, 2018
Summer 2018:  TBD


We recommend that you meet with an advisor in the Financial Aid Office and your Academic Counselor prior to dropping classes.


  • All awards are contingent upon the availability of funds.
  • All funds you receive must be used only for educationally related expenses.
  • You must be enrolled in a certificate, degree or transfer program listed in the college catalog.  Some programs at GCC are NOT eligible for Federal/state financial aid.  Please come to the financial aid office for inquiries of specific ineligible programs. 
  • You must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.
  • If you drop classes or withdraw from the college, you may be required to repay funds.
  • You may not receive federal student aid funds from more than one college during a semester, even if you are enrolled in more than one school.  Contact the Financial Aid Office regarding the possibility of a Consortium Agreement to include all units for your financial aid calculation.
  • You are required to notify the Financial Aid Office if you receive other financial aid from any sources, such as scholarships or outside loans.  If you fail to notify the Financial Aid Office, you may be required to repay funds you received from some financial aid programs.
  • If an error has been made by you or the Financial Aid Office in calculating your financial aid award or disbursing your financial aid funds or an appeal is granted for special consideration, the Financial Aid Office reserves the right to make any necessary changes or corrections.
  • You must reapply for financial aid each year.
  • Financial Aid does not “transfer”.  If you intend to transfer to another college or university, contact the Financial Aid Office at your transfer school and make sure you know their application procedures and deadlines.
  • The College reserves the right to deduct any financial obligations owed to the College from any financial aid you receive.