GCC responds to the Coronavirus Outbreak. GCC has moved to remote online instruction.

Student Financial Information

Financial Aid Eligibility

  1. Be a U.S. citizen, or an eligible non-citizen.
  2. Have a high-school diploma, or GED, or Pass a High School Proficiency Exam (the CA Certificate of completion is not eligible), or have an AA or AS Degree, or have completed 6 units of college coursework which is acceptable towards a degree or certificate, or pass the Ability to Benefit examination.
  3. Have a valid Social Security number.
  4. Be enrolled in an eligible program of study leading to as AA/AS degree, a certificate or a transfer program.
  5. May not be in default on any federal student loan or owe a refund on any federal grant. 
    Check Your Loan Status Here (Financial Aid Review)
  6. Male students must be registered with the Selective Service for federal aid programs.
    Check Your Selective Service Status Here
  7. File a FAFSA application providing all income criteria; be processed through Federal Methodology, and submit all requested documents to complete a file. Correct any information not reported correctly.
  8. Use financial aid funds for educational purposes.
  9. Students who have convictions for the sale or possession of illegal drugs, while receiving federal student aid, may not be eligible for financial aid, depending on when the conviction occurred. Eligibility can be reinstated.

    Call 1-800-433-3243 for further information or review the questions here:


Drug Law Violations and Financial Aid Eligibility

A Federal or State Drug *Conviction can disqualify students for FSA funds.

As indicated in HEA Section 484(r), 34 CFR 668.40, a federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for Federal Student Aid funds.

Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which a student was receiving Title IV aid—they do not count if the offense was not during such a period. Also, a conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor does one received when the student was a juvenile, unless the student was tried as an adult.

The chart below illustrates the period of ineligibility for FSA funds, depending on whether the conviction was for sale or possession and whether the student had previous offenses.

*A conviction for sale of drugs includes convictions for conspiring to sell drugs.
  Possession Of Illegal Drugs  Sale of Illegal Drugs
1st Offense 1 year from date of conviction 2 years from date of conviction
2nd Offense 2 years from date of conviction Indefinite period
3+ Offense Indefinite period Indefinite period

If the student was convicted of both possessing and selling illegal drugs, and the periods of ineligibility are different, the student will be ineligible for the longer period.

A student regains federal financial aid eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when the student successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program or, effective beginning with the 2010–2011 award year, passes two unannounced drug tests given by such a program. Further drug convictions will make the student ineligible again.

Students denied eligibility for an indefinite period can regain it after successfully completing rehabilitation program (as described below), passing two unannounced drug tests from such a program, or if a conviction is reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record so that fewer than two convictions for sale or three convictions for possession remain on the record. In such cases, the nature and dates of the remaining convictions will determine when the student regains eligibility. It is the student’s responsibility to certify to the school that the rehabilitation program was successfully completed.

Standards for a Qualified Drug Rehabilitation Program:

A qualified drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests and must satisfy at least one of the following requirements: 

  • Be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly from a federal, state, or local government program. 
  • Be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a federally or state-licensed insurancecompany. 
  • Be administered or recognized by a federal, state, or local government agency or court. 
  • Be administered or recognized by a federally or state-licensed hospital, health clinic, or medical doctor.

If you have any questions about the effect of a drug conviction on your Federal Student Aid or your eligibility please call 1-800-4FEDAID.

Availability of a GED Program

Students are admitted to Glendale Community College without a high school diploma or GED. A person 18 years of age or older without a high school diploma or GED may be admitted to the College to take courses for the purpose of general education or to enroll in specialized vocational programs. A student may prepare for transfer to a four-year university without a high school diploma.

Student Success Center at Glendale Community College Continuing Education Campus, located in MP 211, offers free classes to help students prepare for the GED and the HiSET.

Cost of Attendance

Need Based and Non Need Based Aid

Need Based:
Our office calculates a student’s need by subtracting their Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the Cost of Education (or budget) that we have assigned:

Most aid that we award is need-based, which means that a student must have an adequate amount of need in order to accommodate the aid awarded. For instance, if a student’s need equals $10,000, they may receive no more than $10,000 in need-based aid.
          Cost of Attendance (Budget) $15,000 
        - EFC $5,000 
        = Need $10,000

Need-based aid includes (but is not limited to):
  • Federal Pell Grant 
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) 
  • Federal Work-Study
  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loan 
  • Fee Waivers 
  • State Grants 
  • Most Scholarships

    NOTE: While scholarships are typically not awarded based upon a student’s EFC or need, they are nonetheless included when totaling the amount of aid counted towards covering a student’s need.
Non Need Based:
Some types of aid (including but not limited to the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, the Federal Direct PLUS Loan, and private loans) do not require a student to have need. A student may receive such awards even if their original need figure equals zero.

Regardless of the type of aid package a student receives (all need-based, all non-need-based, or a combination of the two), their total awards may not exceed their cost of attendance.

IRAQ and Afghanistan Service Awards

The Iraq and Afghanistan Grant is a grant for students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the evens of 9/11 and they were under 24 year old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of their parents or guardians death. Students are eligible for this grant, if they were not eligible for the Pell Grant based on their EFC. They will be awarded the full award amount, and like Pell, it is never reduced as a response to an over-award. The award amount provided to an eligible student for an award year may not exceed the maximum Federal Pell Grant for that award year. Award amounts for this grant is subject to reductions based on the sequester.

For students who have a Pell-Eligible EFC and are eligible for the Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant, Glendale Community College will ensure that all of their Title IV aid is awarded based on an EFC of zero, regardless of the students calculated EFC. Eligible students are identified by the US Department of Education and the college is informed on the student’s financial aid application.

Study Abroad and Financial Aid 

If you enroll in a Glendale Community College sponsored study abroad program, you may apply for financial aid through the GCC Financial Aid Office. You will be considered for all aid programs (Pell Grant, Cal Grant (California Residents and AB 540 students), BOGW (California Residents and AB 540 students), Scholarships and Loans) except Federal Work-Study.

Depending on the cost of your study abroad program, the financial aid you receive may or may not meet your full demonstrated financial need. To make up the gap between your aid and the cost of your program, you may want to apply for a private scholarship or an alternative loan. Please also contact the Study Abroad Office for more information about additional financial resources and payment deadlines.

State Grant Assistance

California State Grant assistance is for those students that have been classified as either California Residents or who qualify under AB 540 as students not subject to non-resident fees.

BOG A or BOG B or BOG C (Board of Governors’ Enrollment Fee Waiver): The BOG waives your enrollment fee, regardless of how many units you take. There are three types of BOG fee waivers. If your award is a BOG A, you qualified because you provided documentation that you or your parents receive TANF/Cal Works, or SSI or that you receive General Relief benefits and you may also receive a 50% discount on college parking permits and the health fee. Students who are BOG A or B eligible may also qualify for EOPS and should contact the EOPS Office. If you received a BOG C, you qualified on the basis of your FAFSA or CA Dream Application information. If you paid enrollment fees prior to receiving a BOG you will receive a refund of these fees from the Tuition Office.

EOPS (Educational Opportunity Program Grant):  The EOPS Office provides grants and services to eligible students according to EOPS eligibility criteria. Contact the EOPS Office for more information (EOPS).

Cal Grant B, Cal Grant C:  Cal Grants are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) if you filed a FAFSA or CA Dream Application and Cal Grant GPA Verification Form prior to the March 2nd or September 2nd deadlines and meet the eligibility criteria established by the state (

California Full Time Student Success Grant:  Student Success Grants are given to students who have been awarded a Cal Grant "B" based on eligibility criteria established by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). To receive payment of the Student Success Grant for the semester, you must be enrolled in at least 12 or more units, receive a full-time Cal Grant payment and be meeting all Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards.

Chafee Grants:  Special state grants of up to $5000 are awarded to students who are or were Foster Youth. To qualify, you must file the FAFSA form or CA Dream Application, be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The court must have established your dependency when you were between the ages of 16 and 19. (KinGap youth, adopted youth, guardian placement, and voluntary placement may not be eligible for the Chafee Grant, unless court dependency was established at any time between the ages of 16 and 19). The California Department of Social Services will verify your foster youth eligibility status

Work Study Terms and Conditions

The Federal Work Study Program (FWS) is a federally funded program that gives students the opportunity to work on-campus. FWS requires the completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  Students must meet specific eligibility requirements. Due to limited funds, FWS is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Student Employment Services office will make every effort to match students to positions that are closely related to their majors, skills, interests and available hours. FWS award is NOT a guarantee of employment.

Students must be eligible to work in the United States and currently enrolled in a minimum of 6 units before they can be considered for on-campus positions (with the exception of the summer sessions and the winter intersession). The number of units determines the number of hours students may work each week. Student workers must maintain at least a 2.0 GPA and maintain satisfactory academic progress. FWS students may work the maximum number of hours (as needed) until they have earned their total Work Study Award, provided that the department has been allocated enough Work Study funds. A Work Study student that has earned his/her award may continue working under the college employment program if the department has sufficient funds.

To work under the Federal Work Study (FWS) program, students must meet the following requirements: 

  • Receive a Work Study Award from the Financial Aid Office. There is no guarantee that students will earn this award. 
  • Be enrolled in at least 6 units each semester the student is working (with the exception if the summer sessions and the winter intersession). 
  • Maintain at least a 2.0 GPA and maintain satisfactory academic progress. 

Work Study Community Service Requirement

Each school that participates in the FWS Program is required to expend at least seven percent (7%) of its total FWS federal allocation to compensate students employed in community service activities. Also, in meeting that seven percent community service expenditure requirement, one or more of the schools’ FWS students must be employed as a reading tutor for children in a reading tutoring project or performing family literacy activities in a family literacy project.

Glendale Community College meets this requirement by offering employment off campus at community agencies, Glendale Public Libraries, and local K-12 schools. Additionally, students working on campus in departments where services are open to the general public are considered in the seven percent requirement, such as the Child Development Center, Career and Job Placement Centers, Center for Student Involvement, and our Citizenship Center.


National Student Loan Database (NSLDS)

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student financial aid records. Federal loans disbursed to students or parents will be submitted to NSLDS and will be accessible by guarantee agencies, lenders, and institutions determined to be authorized users of the data system. Student and parent borrowers can track and manage their federal student loans and grants online at the National Student Loan Data System website. The secured site displays information on loans and grants, including amounts, outstanding balances and status. Student and parent borrowers can also find contact information for their loan servicer.

Net Price Calculator:  Net Price Calculator 

Disbursement Process

Pell Grant and Cal Grant awards are adjusted based on enrollment. Pell Grant awards are divided in two disbursements each semester. Pell grants are adjusted prior to the second disbursement to reflect enrollment at that point in time (Financial Aid Census Date). SEOG and Cal Grants are paid at the time of the second disbursement based on enrollment at that point in time.

Applicants awarded and processed later in the term will receive one disbursement for the entire amount for that term. The enrollment for disbursement will be based on the enrollment at the time of awarding (this change effective Spring 2016).

Even after you have been awarded, your eligibility may change due to an update to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), such as posting of a degree or units from previous school.

NOTE: All Students are awarded based on the assumption that they will be attending full-time (12 units or more). At the time of disbursements awards are adjusted based on actual enrollment greater than 1 unit as no award is processed for less than 1 unit of enrollment.


  1. Awarded financial aid by award disbursement date AND;
  2. Must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements per criteria established by the GCC Financial Aid Office by award disbursement date.

NOTE: The GCC Financial Aid only pays for classes actively in session. If you are enrolled in all classes that are due to commence on a future date it will be paid when it becomes active. (Wait-listed classes are not included in your disbursement).

More information on the disbursement process including dates can be found online at: 

Disbursement for Books and Supplies

Glendale Community College disburses the Federal Pell Grant the Friday before the beginning of the term for those students whose files are awarded, student enrolled and meet Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards. Consequently, students are able to purchase his/her books at the beginning of the term.

Rights and Responsibilities


The Student Right-to-Know and Campus Security Act of 1990 mandates that certain information be kept and disclosed about on-campus crimes considered to be a threat to students or staff: including murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, and motor vehicle theft which are reported to campus police department or to local police. In addition, institutions must also report arrests for the following crimes: liquor law violations, drug abuse violations, and weapons possessions. This information is distributed annually by the Campus Police Department to all enrolled students and to prospective students upon request. Students and employees are to promptly report crimes to the Glendale Community College Police Department.

You Have the Right to Know:

  • The financial aid programs that are available and the eligibility requirements that pertain to each of these.
  • The deadlines for submitting application forms.
  • How financial aid awards are determined.
  • How the costs for fees, tuition, room and board, books and supplies, transportation personal and miscellaneous expenses are considered in establishing the cost of education.
  • The data (parental income, parental assets, student income, student assets, household size, etc.) that were considered in determining your expected family contribution.
  • The college's refund policy.
  • What portion of the financial aid is grant aid, and what portion must be re paid.
  • How the college determines satisfactory academic progress, and the consequences for financial aid when the standards have not been satisfied.
  • The appeal process to follow, when you question a decision that has been made or wish to present an extenuating circumstance.

You Have the Responsibility to:

  • Complete applications and promissory notes and submit them on time to the appropriate location.
  • Return all additional documentation, verification, corrections and/or new information requested by the Financial Aid Office.
  • Provide accurate information. In most instances, misrepresenting information on financial aid application forms is a violation of law and may be considered a criminal offense that could result in indictment under the U.S. Criminal Codes.
  • Read and keep copies of all forms signed.
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office of the following information:
    - Changes in name
    - Changes in factors used to determine financial aid eligibility, including residency, housing plans, marital status, number of dependents, and academic major
    - Other sources of financial aid received during the period covered by the award letter
    - Withdrawal from the college after a semester is in session