GCC responds to the Coronavirus Outbreak. GCC has moved to remote online instruction.
GCC Cares

? Contact the Financial Aid Office

For Students Experiencing Homelessness


Yes. When you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®), you will be asked whether you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless and “unaccompanied” (meaning not with your parents). Answer the question and continue with the application.
No. If you answer “yes” to the homelessness question on the FAFSA, you will be able to submit the FAFSA without providing information about your parents because you are stating that you are not with your parents.
No, but you do need to provide a mailing address where you can reliably receive mail. Your mailing address can be the address of a relative or friend who has given you permission to use it, or it can be your college’s address. If you want to use your college’s address, you must contact the school for permission and instructions to ensure that your mail reaches you. If you find more permanent housing, you should update your address on the FAFSA.
Maybe. Once you answer “yes” to the general homelessness question on the FAFSA, you will be asked whether you have received a homeless youth determination. If you indicate that you have, the financial aid administrator at the college you plan to attend may request the determination to prove that you are “unaccompanied” and homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. You should contact one of the following individuals to ask if they can provide you with a homeless youth determination:

• Your high school or school district homeless liaison
• The director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
• The director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program

In some cases, the individual listed above may only be allowed to make a homeless youth determination if you are receiving his or her program’s support or if, in the case of a school district homeless liaison, you are in his or her high school or high school district.
If you answer “yes” to the general homelessness question on the FAFSA but have not received a homeless youth determination from one of the individuals listed in Question 4, you can still submit the FAFSA. Once you submit the FAFSA, you must request a homeless youth determination from the financial aid administrator at the college you plan to attend. While it is not required, to help the financial aid administrator make a homeless youth determination, you may want to submit documentation from any of the following:

• Local school district personnel
• State homeless education coordinators
• The National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE)
• Third parties such as private or publicly funded homeless shelters and service providers
• Financial aid administrators from colleges other than the school to which you’re presenting the documentation
• Staff from college access programs such as TRIO (e.g., Talent Search or Upward Bound) or GEAR UP
• College or high school counselors
• Mental health professionals, social workers, mentors, doctors, or clergy

If you don’t have any written documentation of your homelessness status, the financial aid office must still review your request for a homeless youth determination and make a determination as to whether you qualify as a homeless youth. The financial aid office’s determination may be based on other information available to them through resources like your state or local government, community organizations, or services provided by the college.
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) recently released a toolkit and guide for youth in the child welfare system who are transitioning to adulthood. Although this toolkit focuses on youth leaving the foster care system, it also provides useful information for youth who are homeless and have never been in the child welfare system. The toolkit includes information on the different types of housing options that may be available in your community. Access the Foster Care Transition Toolkit (pdf).

Below are additional resources for homeless youth:
  • The National Association for the Education of Homeless Children and Youth (NAEHCY) operates a toll-free higher education helpline that provides homeless youth assistance with issues related to college access and success for homeless youth. Contact the NAEHCY higher education helpline at (855) 446-2673. NAEHCY also offers scholarships for students who have experienced homelessness while incollege. To learn more visit
  • The National Center for Homeless Education (NCHE) operates a toll-free homeless education helpline that provides assistance with issues related to PreK-12 and higher education for children and youth experiencing homelessness. Contact the NCHE homeless helpline at (800) 308-2145. To learn more, visit NCHE.

  • Many cities offer shelters where homeless youth can stay on a first-come-first-serve basis. If you are a student, check with your college to learn more about shelters in your area. Shelter resources include:

    helterListings offers a state-by-state list of shelters and supportive housing available near you. For more information, visit

    he Teen Project Shelter Finder aids teenagers aging out of the foster care system by providing opportunities for higher education and independent living. Visit for information.

    he Family and Youth Services Bureau supports transitional living and maternity group home programs to provide supportive services and housing to runaway and homeless youth. The Transitional Living Program provides long-term residential services to homeless youth ages 16 to 22, while also providing supportive services to help youth make a successful transition to self-sufficient living. The Maternity Group Home Program supports homeless pregnant and/or parenting young people between the ages of 16 and 22, as well as their dependent children. For additional information, visit: Runaway & Homeless Youth.
  • The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers direct resources for homeless individuals. For resources and fact sheets on youth homelessness, HUD Resources for Youth Homelessness. Below are available programs supported by HUD:

    he Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) Program: The ESG program provides information about emergency shelters for homeless individuals. To locate your local ESG, visit the HUD website In “View Organization by Location” choose your state, in “View Organization by Program” select ESG: Emergency Solutions Grant Program and hit submit.

    he Continuum of Care (CoC) Program: The CoC program provides homeless individuals the services needed to move into transitional and permanent housing. To locate your local CoC and find out which housing programs you may qualify for in your community, visit the HUD website. Click on your state and scroll down to find the CoC that covers your community.

    ublic Housing and Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Programs: Sometimes referred to as Section 8, housing assistance programs are for low-income individuals and families. In public housing, the participant pays a share of their income, generally 30 percent, as rent to their local public housing agency (PHA). To learn more about public housing and for information on eligibility and the application process, visit HUD’s website.You can also contact your local PHA for information on public housing and/or HCV programs. Contact information is available at the PHA Contact Information page.

    Students under the age of 24 who want to qualify for project-based rental assistance and housing choice vouchers covered under Section 8 must also have income-eligible parents unless the student (1) is a veteran, (2) is married, or (3) has dependent children, or (4) is an independent student. One way to qualify as an independent student is to have been determined to be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless through the processes described in Questions 4 and 5 above. For more information, visit

    Privately Owned Subsidized Rental Housing: HUD helps private apartment building owners offer reduced rent to low-income individuals and families through housing assistance programs. Tenants pay a share of their income as rent to the landlord (no more than 30 percent) and HUD pays the housing subsidy directly to the building owner. To find subsidized apartment buildings, visit HUD’s website.

Food Insecurity

GCC Food For Thought Pantry: The Food For Thought Pantry is open to any currently enrolled GCC student who completes a short application.

CalFresh:  The name for California's Food Stamp Program has changed as a result of recent State law.  The new name for the program is "CalFresh" (formerly known as food stamp).  CalFresh benefits are used instead of money at the grocery store.  Get more information on CalFresh.

Foster Youth

If you answered “Yes” on your Fafsa application to question #53.  At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court.  Verification of your dependency status will have to be proved by providing a “Dependency or Ward of Court Letter” to the Financial Aid Office.  It is recommended that you meet with a FA Advisor or the Foster Youth Liaison located at the Financial Aid Office – Sierra Vista/3rd floor.  You can also contact Linda A. Carrasco/FA Advisor/FY Liaison at (818) 240-1000 ext. 5876 for any questions or assistance.


Additional services provided to current Foster Youth or former Foster Youth include the following:

  • Guidance with obtaining verification of foster youth status.Students who received foster care services in Los Angeles County may contact Independent Living Program Services by logging onto or by phone at (213) 351-0101.
  • Assistance with completing required financial aid forms.
  • Expediting student’s financial aid file review and processing.
  • Priority registration (if you were in foster care between the ages of 16-18)
  • E-mail referrals to either the Guardian Scholars Program for FY enrolled in less than 9 units, or EOPS for FY enrolled in 9 units or more.
  • Assistance with the Chafee Grant application and follow-up.
  • Referrals to Job Placement for federal work study assignments.

If you are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16-18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for a California Chafee Grant:

  • The award amount could be up to $5,000 based on need.
  • The grant is in addition to any other state or federal aid you may receive.
  • Requires student to submit the FAFSA or CADAA and the California Chafee Grant Application.
  • Contact your school, caseworker or Independent Living Program Coordinator if you need help completing the FAFSA or CADAA and Chafee Grant Application.
  • A minimum of 6 units per semester is required for eligibility.
  • Less than half-time enrollment or SAP status may disqualify the student’s Chafee Grant eligibility.
  • Student must designate school of attendance.

Foster Youth may also apply for the Chafee Grant directly by logging onto

Renewing My Chafee Grant

If a student received a Chafee Grant, it may be reviewed through their 23rd birthday as of July 1st of the award year.  Students do not need to reapply for a Chafee Grant each year; however student must submit a Fafsa or CADAA every year.


You can receive both VA educational benefits and financial aid by filling out the FAFSA. You may be eligible for federal, state and/or institutional grants and waivers, loans and scholarships in addition to your VA educational benefits. Veteran students are considered independent students per FAFSA guidelines; you do not need to report your parent financial data.
You do not have to report VA education benefits on the FAFSA. However, you do need to report non-education VA benefits on the FAFSA. Non-education benefits include: disability, death pension, dependency indemnity compensation and/or VA Work-Study allowances. Please see the resources below for additional information.

Aid for Military Families

For California National Guard Members

Money for School,

GCC Veterans Services

IRAQ and Afghanistan Service Awards
The Iraq and Afghanistan Grant is a grant for students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the evens of 9/11 and they were under 24 year old or enrolled in college at least part-time at the time of their parents or guardians death. Students are eligible for this grant, if they were not eligible for the Pell Grant based on their EFC. They will be awarded the full award amount, and like Pell, it is never reduced as a response to an over-award. The award amount provided to an eligible student for an award year may not exceed the maximum Federal Pell Grant for that award year. Award amounts for this grant is subject to reductions based on the sequester.

For students who have a Pell-Eligible EFC and are eligible for the Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant, Glendale Community College will ensure that all of their Title IV aid is awarded based on an EFC of zero, regardless of the students calculated EFC. Eligible students are identified by the US Department of Education and the college is informed on the student’s financial aid application.

Student Support Services

  • Academic Counseling: 818-240-1000, ext.  5918 
  • Learning Center (Tutoring): 818-240-1000, ext.  5333 
  • Disabled Student Programs & Services: 818-240-1000, ext.  5905
  • Extended Opportunities Programs & Services: 818-240-1000, ext.  6900
  • Veterans: 818-240-1000, ext.  3360, 5309 
  • CalWORKS: 818-240-1000, ext.  5508 (Main Campus), 5681 (Garfield)
  • Financial Aid: 818-240-1000, ext.  5916