GCC responds to the Coronavirus Outbreak. GCC has moved to remote online instruction.


If you are experiencing symptoms, call your primary care physician or urgent care facility first. For the latest COVID-19 information from the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health or call 211 (24/7).


Awards and Disbursements

? Contact the Financial Aid Office

Understanding My Award

Once your financial aid file is complete and reviewed, you will be sent an email through your GCC email address notifying you that your financial aid awards have been posted to your MyGCC page.  To see the programs and amounts of financial aid that you are eligible to receive for the academic year:

  • Log into your MyGCC account
  • Click on Student Services Ctr – "View Financial Aid”
  • Click on the aid year you wish to view
Note: Summer awards are calculated for students actually enrolled for summer.

The awards listed are based on estimated full-time enrollment.  If you receive your financial aid awards later in the semester, the award amounts will be based on current units as of the date your awards were posted to the system.  The amount you actually receive will be based on the number of units in which you are enrolled as of the Add/Drop deadline (financial aid census date).  The following programs may be listed:

Federal Pell Grant: 

The Federal Pell Grant program is a federal grant program restricted to low income students/families. The amount you receive is based entirely on your FAFSA information, the U.S. Department of Education Federal Pell Grant tables, and your enrollment status. If you are enrolled less than full-time (12 units per semester), your award is reduced or may be canceled.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant: 

Federal SEOG grants are awarded in the amount of $200 per semester only if you also qualify for a maximum Federal Pell Grant. Funds are very limited and not all eligible students can be awarded. Full-time students receive priority for funds. 

CCPG A or CCPG B or CCPG C (CA College Promise Grant, CCPG, formerly the BOG): 

The CCPG waives your enrollment fee, regardless of how many units you take. There are three types of CCPG. If your award is a CCPG A, you qualified because you provided documentation that you or your parents receive TANF/Cal Works, or SSI or that you receive General Relief benefits and you may also receive a 50% discount on college parking permits and the health fee. Students who are CCPG A or B eligible may also qualify for EOPS services and should contact the EOPS Office. If you received a CCPG C, you qualified on the basis of your FAFSA information. If you paid enrollment fees prior to receiving a CCPG you will receive a refund of those fees from the Tuition Office.

The deadline to submit an application for the CCPG is the last day of the semester you are enrolled in to be awarded and eligible to receive a waiver for that term. 

EOPS (Educational Opportunity Program Grant): 

The EOPS Office provides grants and services to eligible students according to EOPS eligibility criteria. Contact the EOPS Office for more information (EOPS).

Cal Grant B, Cal Grant C:

Cal Grants are awarded by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) if you filed a FAFSA and Cal Grant GPA Verification Form by the March 2nd or September 2nd deadlines (or a CADAA and Cal Grant GPA Verification Form by the March 2nd deadline) and meet the eligibility criteria established by the state.

Student Success Completion Grant: 

Student Success Completion Grant is a financial aid program for Cal Grant "B" or "C" recipients attending a California Community College and enrolled in Full-Time. The program purpose it to encourage student to maintain full-time status. The Student Success Completion Grant pays full-time (12 units or more) to Cal Grant B or C recipients up to $4,000 annually. In addition to the eligibility requirements all students must still maintain all Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards per term to be eligible. 

Federal Work Study Program: 

The amount listed is the maximum you may earn in a campus part-time job under the Work-Study program. To use your Work Study award, contact the Job Placement Office in the San Rafael Building for information on available jobs and hiring procedures: (Job Placement). Work-study earnings are based on the time sheets submitted by your supervisor and paychecks are issued monthly by the College Payroll Office. Contact the Job Placement Office for further information.

Federal Direct Student Loan (Subsidized or Unsubsidized Stafford Loan): 

The amount of your Federal Direct Student Loan is visible on your 'MYGCC', 'View Financial Aid' page. Students borrowing federal student loans are required to attend an Entrance Loan workshop. Contact the Financial Aid Office to sign up for a workshop.


The amount of scholarship money you received for this academic year is listed. Scholarship checks are disbursed from the Scholarship Office after they have been received from the funding agency and your eligibility has been verified by the Scholarship or Financial Aid Office.

AmeriCorps Grant:

If you are or were in the Americorps program and earned educational benefits, the funds you are redeeming for this year are listed as part of your financial aid award.

Chaffey Grant: 

Students who were in the California Foster Care system may be eligible for up to $5000 per year in additional grant assistance. 

How Do I receive Financial Aid Funds?

Check Disbursements

Federal Pell Grant, federal Direct Student Loans, FSEOG, and Cal Grants are posted as a credit to your Student Account. Any outstanding charges will be paid with your financial aid funds.  If your financial aid is greater than the amount of outstanding charges, a refund will be generated and a disbursement check will be issued by the College and mailed to you.  Contact the Tuition Office (ext. 5930) if you have questions regarding lost checks or replacement checks.  To view your Student Account activity:

  • Log into your MyGCC account
  • Under Finances, Click on “other financial…” arrow
  • Click on Account Activity and arrows to right

Federal Pell Grant, FSEOG, Federal Direct Loan and Cal Grant Check Disbursement Procedures:

First Disbursement of the Semester:

For students who are awarded prior to the second disbursement. If your financial aid awards are posted to your account prior to the Financial Aid Census date, you will receive 50% of your Pell Grant award for the term.  Awards will be recalculated based on actual enrollment prior to second disbursement.

Second Disbursement of the Semester: 

Students who have already received a Federal Pell Grant disbursement will receive the remaining balance at second disbursement. Awards will be recalculated for actual enrollment at the Financial Aid Census date. Students awarded Cal Grant, FSEOG or Federal Direct Student Loan funds must be enrolled in 6 or more units at the time of disbursement to receive funds. For California Full Time Student Success Grants students must be in at least 12 or more units.  For the Community College Completion Grants students must be in at least 15 or more units.

If you receive your first award notification after the Financial Aid Census date you will receive all funds awarded to you in one disbursement for the semester, for the number of units you are enrolled in as of the date of initial packaging.  Funds will be received within two to three weeks after receiving the award notification.

The Financial aid check disbursement process is run on a weekly basis effective the week prior to the start of each semester through the week after second disbursement.  Thereafter, the disbursement process is run every other week. 

To view current disbursement dates, please visit our Deadlines and Timeline

Important notes on late starting classes and disbursement: 

If you are enrolled in a class(es) that starts after the first day of the semester some or all of your financial aid funds may not be disbursed until after the class(es) start and the Financial Aid Office verifies that you remain enrolled.  Disbursement of any financial aid funds held for late starting classes usually occurs with the next scheduled disbursement after the class begins.        

Important notes on census date:

All financial aid awards are based on your enrollment status as of the Financial Aid Census date.  No adjustments can be made due to a change in enrolled units that occurs after that date. Students who withdraw from all units are subject to repayment of federal and state financial aid funds.  Financial Aid census dates are subject to change without notice. 

How Many Units Do I Need To Enroll In To Be Eligible?

The amount you receive for a specific program may depend upon the number of units in which you are enrolled. The unit requirements per semester, per aid program, are below:

  • Work-Study students must be full-time (12 units per semester)
  • Federal Pell Grant recipients must be enrolled in:
    • 12 units for a full time award,
    • 9-11 units for a 3/4 time award,
    • 6-8 units for a 1/2 time award,
    • 1-5 units for a less than 1/2 time award
  • FSEOG Grant, Cal Grant & Federal Direct Student loans:  Must be at least half-time (6 or more units)
  • Student Success Completion Grant must be full-time (12 units per semester)
  • EOPS Grant must be full-time (12 units per semester).  EOPS grants are awarded by the EOPS Office
  • CCPG has no unit requirement.  Enrollment fees for any units listed in the Class Schedule are waived
  • Scholarship criteria are determined by the agency or organization providing the scholarship

At GCC the Federal Pell Grant for Winter and Spring is awarded by combining both Winter and Spring units (The winter term is NOT a stand-alone term for Financial Aid awarding). Students enrolled and awarded a Federal Pell Grant prior to the start of the Winter term may receive up to half of their Winter award (based only on Winter units).  The rest of the Winter funds will be combined and disbursed with the initial Spring disbursement.

In addition, students awarded after the start of the Winter term will receive up to half of their Winter award during the initial Spring disbursement (Winter and Spring units combined). Students who had a Return to Title IV calculation for Fall semester in a particular aid year and who enroll for the subsequent Winter semester will receive their Winter Pell Grant disbursement with their first Spring disbursement if their file is complete and awarded.

Important note for students on SAP Contract:

Students currently on a Financial Aid Contract may not receive a Winter disbursement until all grades for the prior semester have been posted and evaluated.  Therefore, Financial aid Contract students will receive their monies with the initial Spring disbursement. 

What If I Drop Units Or Leave School?

Dropping a Class:

If you do not attend a class (NO SHOW) for which you received aid, you are required to repay the entire amount you received for that course.

If you drop a class for which you received aid before our Financial Aid Census date, you are required to repay the amount you received for that course.

If you drop a course after the Financial Aid Census date and receive a “W” in that course, you may be eligible to keep your aid. Any time you withdraw from units it may affect your Satisfactory Academic Progress. Speak to a financial aid advisor for more specific information. 

Withdrawing From School:

If you received federal student aid and withdraw from all classes prior to completing 60% of the semester, you must repay some or all of the financial aid you received.  The amount you must repay is determined by the number of days you attended class or the date you officially withdrew from the college. We recommend that you meet with an advisor in the Financial Aid Office and your Academic Counselor prior to dropping classes.