Tax Payer Relief Act 1997

FORM 1098-T

Welcome to the Glendale Community College Taxpayer Relief Act website. This website was set up as a service to Glendale Community College students and families to assist them in understanding the Tuition Payment Statement (Form 1098-T) that was recently mailed. The information offered is not tax advice and students and their families are urged to consult their tax adviser/preparer and the official material provided by the Internal Revenue Service to determine their eligibility and process to claiming either of the two tax credits; Lifetime Learning and Hope Scholarship.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit?
The Lifetime Learning Tax Credit is a federal income tax credit that applies to tuition and fees for undergraduate, graduate, and continuing-education course work. A family can claim on its tax return a credit equal to 20 percent of $5,000 of educational expenses for a maximum benefit of $1,000 each tax year.

What is the Hope Scholarship?
The Hope Scholarship is a federal income tax credit that is similar to the Lifetime Learning tax credit. It is equal to the first $1,000 of tuition and fees (less scholarships, grants, and tax-free tuition benefits) and half of the next $1,000 of tuition and fees for a maximum credit of $1,500. The Hope credit can be claimed only for two tax years and applies only to the first two years of postsecondary education. Students must be enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a degree or certificate during at least one academic period that begins during the tax year.

What are "Education Expenses" that are eligible for the two credits?
Generally, for Glendale Community College students, "Education Expenses" are payments made for your enrollment fees, non-resident tuition, and material fees. Payments made for the health fee, parking, associated student’s fee or books and other supplies cannot be claimed. It should be noted that any "untaxed educational benefit" (e.g. most grants, scholarships, fellowships, and fee waivers) must be subtracted from the qualified "Education Expenses" when computing the credit.

Who can claim the Lifetime Learning or Hope Scholarship?
Either the student if he/she is not claimed as a dependent on anyone else’s tax return or the taxpayer who is entitled to claim the student as a tax dependent will be eligible for the credit. However, other factors such as income levels and tax liability may preclude an individual from receiving the credit.

Why did I get the 1098-T form?
Glendale Community College was required to mail you this form. It is the official document notifying you of the potential eligibility for either the Lifetime Learning or Hope Scholarship tax credits.

What if I didn’t get a 1098-T form?
Not all students receive this form. You will not receive this form if any of the following apply:
• You received a Board of Governors (BOG) fee waiver
• You are an F-1 Visa student
• You attended Glendale College but only attended the Non-credit and/or Community Service Classes
• You did not make any payments for enrollment fees or tuition in the tax year
• You moved and haven’t notified the Office of Admissions and Records of your new address

If you believe you should have received this form E-Mail us at or leave a message on (818) 240-1000 ext.1098. An email will produce a quicker response. In either method, we will need your student ID and social security numbers.

What do I do with the 1098-T form?
Give this form to your tax advisor/preparer who prepares your tax return. If you are claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return, that taxpayer should provide this form to his/her tax advisor/preparer.

What if my address or social security number is not correct?
If either your address or social security number is not correct, you will need to inform the Office of Admissions and Records and complete the appropriate form. In addition, you need to email us at or leave a message at (818) 240-1000 X1098 so a new 1098-T form can be reissued. Be sure to include your student ID and social security numbers with your request.

How can I find out the amount of fees that were paid?
Box 1 on the 1098-T form you received is the amount of fees paid.

Where can I get more information?
You can get more information from one of the following sources:
• Your tax advisor/preparer
• IRS publication 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education
• IRS form 8863, Education Credits
The IRS has a website where publications and forms can be obtained. It is at
The IRS also has a taxpayer advice telephone number at (800) 829-1040.

Any other questions? 
email us at or leave a message at (818) 240-1000 X1098. Be sure to include your student ID and social security numbers.