Frequently Asked Questions

How to enroll and register for classes?

As a new student, you may register at the time and date assigned to you in your online student portal - MyGCC. Complete the following steps prior to registration:

  • Step 1: Submit Application for Admission online through CCC Apply
  • Step 2: Complete Assessment and Orientation
  • Step 3: Meet with a Counselor to develop a Student Education Plan.
  • Step 4: Register for classes through MyGCC

As a continuing student, you are assigned a registration appointment in your online student portal - MyGCC. Complete the following steps prior to registration:

  • Step 1: See a Counselor to develop or update your Student Education Plan.
  • Step 2: Choose your classes from those listed in the Class Schedule.
  • Step 3: Register for classes using MyGCC
How do I Drop a class?

As a student, you are responsible (not the instructor) for withdrawing from class(es) in which you are officially enrolled. The student should drop the class using MyGCC. If you fail to attend a class in which you are officially enrolled and do not drop the class, you may receive a failing grade. If withdrawal from a full-term course occurs within the first two weeks of the semester, no grade will be recorded on your permanent academic record. If you withdraw from a full-term course between the third week of instruction through the end of the tenth week of instruction, you will receive a grade of "W" on your permanent record. You may not drop or withdraw from classes after the end of the tenth week of instruction. Be sure to check the "Important Dates" in the class schedule or in your student portal - MyGCC.

Deadlines vary for short term classes.

How to Drop a Class guide (pdf)

Add/Drop/Withdraw Deadlines

How much are the registration fees?

California residents: The State-mandated enrollment fee per unit. The Non-Resident Tuition per unit. Out-of-State and international students must pay this fee in addition to the basic enrollment fee, plus a capital outlay fee per unit. Details and a list of other fees are included in the class schedule.

Enrollment Fees

What do I do when the class I want to take is closed?
If the class is closed and if there is space on the waiting list, ADD YOURSELF TO THE WAIT LIST. During the registration period, IF other students drop, students on the waiting list will be automatically moved into the class in the order they were placed on the wait list. If you have elected to be placed on a wait list, it is your responsibility to monitor your enrollment into the class. If you get enrolled in the class, you will be charged the fee for this class. The college strictly adheres to all deadlines and dates.
What is the maximum number of units I can take?
The college policy for the maximum number of units per Fall and Spring semester is 19. The maximum number of units per winter session is 8. The maximum number of units per summer session is 10. Students wishing to take more than 19 units during a semester or more than 8 units during a winter or more than 10 units during a summer session must obtain approval from the Director of Admissions & Records by submitting a Unit Overload form.
How do I find out about the Attendance and Drop Policy of my class?
You are expected to attend all class meetings. It is your responsibility to know the attendance and absence policy of each class in which you are enrolled. It is the responsibility of each instructor to inform his or her class of the attendance and absence policies at the beginning of each semester. You may be dropped from a class for failure to attend all class meetings in the first week of instruction if you have not made prior arrangements with your instructor.
How do I keep track of the different deadlines?
Refer to the "Important Dates" page of the current schedule of classes or log into your MyGCC student portal. In MyGCC, click on the "time clock" next to each class listed in your class schedule.
How do I get a GCC Student Photo ID?

All new students are asked to purchase a photo ID card. The fee for the photo I.D. is $10, and is charged only once. The photo ID card is used at the library, the bookstore, offices in Student Services and instructional labs at the college. 

The Photo ID center is located on the 3rd Floor of the Sierra Vista Building - Admissions and Records Office.

Please be prepared to show the following items:

  • Any form of photo identification
  • Printout of your current class schedule

Please call the Admissions and Records Office for photo ID hours. (818) 240-1000 ext. 5910 

Important Notice: Students are required to take their photo during the semester in which it was purchased. 

MyGCC Login Help and MyGCC Forgot My Password

MyGCC Login Help

If you have forgotten your password, or your password has expired, you can have a new password emailed to you. Go to MyGCC and click on Forgot My Password link.

How many units must I take to be considered full time?
If you enrolled in 12 or more units you are considered a full-time student. (During the summer and winter sessions, if you are enrolled in 4 or more units, you are considered a full-time student).
I don't know what I want to major in. Who can help me?
The Career Center can help you determine a major or course of study. Students are facilitated in the career exploration process through surveys, computerized systems and career tests. The staff provides individualized career counseling, as well as mini-workshops and classroom interaction. Call the Career Center at extension 5407 for day and evening hours.
Who is STAFF in the class schedule?
This means that an instructor has not yet been designated to teach the class.
How may I contribute to the College and be part of student activities?
By getting involved in student government and activities, you can contribute your suggestions, efforts and energy to support current programs and improvements for the betterment of students and the College. Student activities can enrich your college experience. The Associated Students of Glendale Community College (ASGCC) is the official student government organization. You are encouraged to obtain information about campus activities and student leadership programs in the Office of Student Affairs located in the Campus Center.
Do I have to repeat a class in which I received a D or F grade?
It is to the student's benefit to repeat a class in which he/she received a grade of D or F in order to raise the GPA. In order to satisfy major requirements, and General Education Requirements for CSU Breadth and IGETC, the student must have a minimum of "C" grade in all courses.

If you received a grade of D or F in a course, you may enroll in the course again. After you successfully complete the course, you should fill out the "Request to Count the Higher Grade" and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records so the original grade of D or F will not be calculated in your grade-point average.
What is Academic Renewal?

If you do not need to repeat a course because the class(es) are not needed for your current goal, this is a good option for you. Read more about our academic renewal policy and see if you qualify to petition.

Your original F/D grade will still be visible on your GCC transcript, but it won't be calculated into your GPA. Glendale Community College does not guarantee that institutions outside the district will honor academic renewal. The receiving institution/agency will make that determination.

What is Academic Probabition?
A students is placed on academic probation once his total G.P.A drops below a 2.0 in all units  attempted. Once you are on academic probation, you will continue to be on probation until you raise your cumulative grade point average to a 2.0 or better. To avoid Academic Probation, avoid getting D's and F's in your classes. If you must drop a class, drop them early to avoid receiving an F in the class. If you are already on Academic Probation, the quickest way to return to good standing is to repeat those courses in which you received D's or F's.
What does it mean to be a student"in good standing"?
A student whose records shows a minimum 2.0 GPA and is making satisfactory progress is considered to be "in good standing".
How do I get a transcript & what makes it official?
Transcript Fees and Processing Times

FIRST TWO (2) COPIES OF YOUR OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT ARE FREE. Students may obtain their free transcripts by MAIL or In Person Request ONLY.

Regular Service: $10.00 per copy

Allow 10 Business Days from the date of receipt TO PROCESS. (excluding Saturday, Sunday and Holidays)

Allow 4 – 6 WEEKS (once grades have been posted) for processing requests with a HOLD FOR CURRENT SEMESTER FINAL GRADES, and for all regular requests during the posting of final grades. Requests are processed in the order received.

Express Service: $15.00 per copy

Allow 5 Business Days from the date of receipt TO PROCESS. (excluding Saturday, Sunday and Holidays)

Express service does not apply to CSU BREADTH and IGETC certifications.

What is Express Service?

  • ONLINE REQUEST – Once the authorization form has been received allow 5 business days for processing. (excluding Saturday, Sunday and Holidays)
  • BY MAIL - Student requests official transcript by mail. The official transcript is processed in our office within 5 business days from the date receipt (excluding Saturday, Sunday and Holidays). The transcript is mailed by way of regular United States Postal Service to the requested destination. Delivery time is determined by the United States Postal Service. Your transcripts will not be delivered to its destination within 5 business days.
    Student submits a written request in person, and then returns in 5 business days (excluding Saturday, Sunday and Holidays) with Picture Identification to pick up official transcript.

GE Certification

General Education Certification Information

Students are responsible for requesting the CSU/IGETC Certification to be included with their transcripts. This service is only available when certification and a transcript are being sent to a participating institution.

Glendale Community College requires official transcripts from all other colleges and universities that you have attended. All official transcripts must be submitted to GCC’s Admissions and Records Office prior to requesting a transfer certification. If you are requesting an IGETC and wish to use high school coursework to fulfill your language other than English requirement (LOTE) you may submit either official or unofficial transcripts. If you are planning to use transcripts from out of state or private colleges and/or universities you may be required to submit additional information in addition to your official transcripts. (This includes but is not limited to: course description, course outline, and class syllabus.) Using out of state transcripts to fulfill your undergraduate coursework requirements may impact the processing time of your certification request. If you have any questions regarding certification please meet with an Academic Counselor prior to submitting your request for certification.

Important information to know before requesting your official transcript
  • Transcript will NOT be processed unless all outstanding obligations to Glendale Community College are cleared.
  • Transcript will NOT be processed without the student's signature.
  • Work-in-Progress will automatically be included for currently enrolled courses.
  • Only Glendale Community College grades are issued. Grades from other schools MUST be ordered from the original school.
  • In accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, student written authorization is REQUIRED to release student records. This includes the parents of a minor student.
  • You are responsible for providing accurate mailing addresses. Replacement transcript requests resulting from inaccurate mailing addresses are subject to the normal transcript fee. We are not responsible for mishandling by the U.S. Post Office or the receiving school or agency.
What are Pass/No Pass Courses?

There are two kinds of P/NP courses. The first category consists of classes that are only offered on a P/NP basis. These courses are listed in the college catalog and noted in the class schedule.

The second category consists of courses which you may choose to take on a P/NP basis. To do so, you must use the "Petition to Take a Class for Pass/No Pass" and submit it to the Office of Admissions and Records by the Friday of the third week of instruction for a semester-length class or the Tuesday of the second week of instruction for all other classes. If you elect to take classes on a P/NP basis, you must participate in the class as a regular student. If the grade awarded by the instructor is a C or higher, the grade is recorded as a P. If the instructor assigns a grade of D or F, the grade is recorded as NP.

How do I calculate my Grade Point Average?

The Grade Point Average (GPA) is computed by dividing the total grade points earned by the total grade points attempted.

Grade or Symbol Meaning Grade Points per Semester Unit
A Superior 4
B Better Than Average 3
C Average 2
D Passing, Less than Satisfactory 1
F Failing 0
CR or Pass Credit 0
NC or No Pass No credit 0
I Incomplete 0
W Withdrawal 0

Calculating Your GPA Sample

Course Units Grade Grade Points
English 101 3 B 9
Math 141 4 A 16
History 110 3 B 9

Total Units Attempted 10 Total Grade Points 34

Divide the total grade points earned by the total number of units attempted.

34 divided by 10= 3.40 GPA