GCC responds to the Coronavirus Outbreak. GCC has moved to remote online instruction.

Residency Requirements

California state law requires that each student enrolled in or applying for admission to a California community college provide information and evidence to determine his/her residence classification for tuition purposes. The guidelines below will help you determine if you are a California resident for purposes of attending a California community college.

Residents of California are entitled to attend a community college by paying the community college enrollment fee ($46 per unit). Nonresidents must pay the enrollment fee ($46 per unit) plus nonresident tuition ($205 per unit) plus a $10 per unit capital outlay fee.

To qualify as a resident, the student must meet the following requirements:

  • have been physically present in California
  • have taken steps to make California your sole state of residence as of one year and a day before the first day of classes for the session you want to attend.

If the student was born outside of the United States, they must have met the above mentioned requirements, along with USCIS documentation that is dated at least one year and one day before the first day of classes for the semester they plan to attend.

If student is under 19 years of age, residency is derived from their parent or legal guardian.

California nonresidents who have graduated from a California high school may qualify for the non-resident tuition exemption.

California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Form (PDF)
Education Code section 68075.6 grants an immediate nonresident tuition fee exemption to eligible Special Immigrant Visa (SIV) holders and refugee students who settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption is granted to one year from the date the student settled in California upon entering the United States. This exemption applies to the following:
  • Iraqi citizens or nationals (and their spouses and children) who were employed by or on behalf of the United States Government in Iraq
  • Afghan and Iragi translators (and their spouses and children) who worked directly with the United States Armed Forces
  • Afghanistan nationals who were employed by or on behalf of the U.S. government or in the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan
  • Refugee students admitted to the United States under Section 1157 of Title 8 of the United States Code.
For more information on residency, please contact the Admissions and Records Office at (818) 240-1000 ext. 5910.

Residency Determination

The college will make final determination of residency, but the burden of proof is on the student to demonstrate clearly, with proof, both physical presence in California and intent to establish California residence.

Each student at the time of admission or readmission will be classified according to his/her legal residence.

All immigration documentation and proofs of California residency must be submitted to the Admissions and Records Office PRIOR to the start of the semester of attendance.

The following will be accepted as proof of intent to establish California residence for tuition purposes:

  • State and federal tax returns with W-2 forms
  • Automobile registration
  • California driver's license/California ID card
  • Voter registration
  • Military personnel: active duty
  • Bank account statements
  • California license for professional practice/membership in California organizations
  • Petitioner for divorce in California
  • Utility bills
  • Proof of employment (pay stubs)
  • Mortgage statements
  • Verification of public assistance

Conduct inconsistent with a claim for California residence includes but is not limited to:

  • Maintaining voter registration and voting in another state.
  • Being a petitioner for a divorce or lawsuit as a resident in another state.
  • Attending an out-of-state institution as a resident of that state.
  • Declaring nonresidence for California income tax purposes.
  • Driver's license and/or vehicle registration in another state
  • In the U.S. with a nonresident visa

Please note the following requirements:

Generally, intent cannot be proved with only one or two pieces of evidence. The more evidence you can present to show intent, the easier it is to become a California resident for tuition purposes. A person begins to establish intent by doing as many of the above mentioned actions AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after their arrival in California.

Due to the complexity of determining residency, we reserve the right to ask for any additional documentation as may be needed on a case by case basis (To be determined by the Admissions and Records Office)

This information has been extracted from the California Education Code sections 68000 and after, and California Code of Regulations, Title 5, sections 54000-54072.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer