The ESL Assessment is through a guided placement survey. It helps you choose the correct ESL classes by using your English preparation.
You will complete the ESL Guided Placement Survey (GPS) online. You will:
- Answer questions about your English language experience.
- See examples of writing and grammar at each ESL level to help you decide the best grammar and writing level for you.
- Watch a short video and decide the best listening/speaking level for you.
Completing the ESL GPS will make you eligible to take courses at the College. Once placed in an ESL class, you advance in the ESL sequence according to course prerequisites.
- You will receive their placement results via email right after completing the survey, or you can view them on MyGCC.
- If you want a second opinion on your placement, you can submit a sample of your work by visiting the Assessment Center.
- You may decide to take the class lower than your placement listed above or see a counselor for advice.
- We strongly recommend you speak with a GCC counselor about your educational plan.
- Please register for the all of the classes that we recommend.
If you choose Noncredit ESL, please see a counselor or Assessment staff. You will need to complete a Non-credit application to take Non-credit ESL courses. For more information, please see Non-credit Assessment.
You can also view your assessment test results online on MyGCC:
Go to www.glendale.edu on the Internet.
Go to MyGCC (top right side of the screen).
Username: Student ID #, PIN #: 6-digit birthday. (Example, a birthday of January 21, 1987 is PIN # 012187.)
Click on Menu.
Click Student Center.
Change “other academic” to “course history.”
Your results will say “Entry into…”
All students testing at our facility are required to provide:
- a valid Glendale Community College ID number; and
- a government issued photo identification card (e.g., California driver's license, California ID card, passport, or military ID).