GCC responds to the Coronavirus Outbreak. GCC has moved to remote online instruction.

Getting Started with DSPS at GCC

Are You A Brand New GCC Student with a Documented Disability?

We have all the information you need for getting started at GCC, as well as what you need to know about getting registered with Disabled Students Programs and Services here at GCC.

Are You A Current GCC Student Who Suspects You Have A Disability?

There are any number of reasons why you are at the college age, but some difficulty you are experiencing has not yet been identified as a disability.  Here are a few common scenarios:

  • You always struggled to keep up with your class but you were a slow learner.  Your teachers didn’t notice because you were a quiet, well-behaved student.
  • You didn't want anyone to know you were struggling and so you acted up, skipped school, you were the class clown, you got kicked out of class, etc.
  • Your teachers noticed you were struggling but your parents didn't want you in special education, so wouldn't let you get tested for a disability.
  • A traumatic event, or a constant buildup of pressure to perform has resulted in severe anxiety that leaves you immobilized.
  • An injury, disease, or illness caused damage to the brain, loss of sight, loss of mobility, or loss of hearing.
  • Nobody realized that your poor social skills, and your high sensitivity to lights and sounds was a form of autism.
  • As an adult you are feeling manic and/or depressed, you’ve developed obsessions, compulsions, or other changes in your moods or personality that you didn’t experience while growing up.

If you wonder whether the difficulties you are experiencing would qualify you for our services as having a disability, please come in to see one of our counselors.  Together, you will discuss your situation.  The counselor will make recommendations to you.  It will be up to you whether you choose to act on them or not.  Your conversation will remain confidential.

You can call the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) at extension 5905.  Tell them you are a new student and want an appointment to talk to a counselor about some academic difficulties you are having.